Best of Sukumvit, Bangkok Series Part 1 – Accommodation
In this multi part series we will be going into detail all things Sukhumvit Bangkok, including accommodation,activities, shopping & nightlife. In Bangkok, Sukhumvit Road is peppered with residential and commercial districts and is home to Major shopping malls as well as many night life areas, including the notorious Soi Cowboy and Nana complex.
In part one, we will outline a few hidden gems on accommodation to suit all budgets. these hotels listed will be best by location verses budget
A few facts
Sukhumvit Road named after fifth chief of the department of Highways, Phra Bisal Sukhumvit, Sukhumvit, is the longest road in Thailand stretching from Bangkok and runs along the eastern seaboard to the border of Cambodia.
The amount of accommodation around the Sukhumvit road area is confusingly numerous, so how to choose if your not overly familiar with the area or have a favourite and are too nervous to take a risk on a unknown hotel. In this blog we have highlighted 3 hotels which we feel are stand outs in their selected categories, these are purely our opinions and we have received no financial benefit for recommending them.
The hotels that are our top picks category are based on the following.
- Location – must be in reasonable walking distance to the BTS Sky Train, shopping malls and nightlife.
- Budget – mid to upper budget levels.
- Swimming Pool – is a must for a lot of people.
Best Comfort Hotel (3.5 Stars)
I have chosen this Hotel due to it’s location and value for money for my Budget pick. Yes you can get a guesthouse cheaper, but they are really basic and lack lustre as far as comfort goes. I will go through a few pros and cons, as well as the property features and location benefits. (Agoda link here)
- Good location – Well situated, only a 7 minute walk to Suhkumvit MRT Station, 8 minute walk to Nana BTS Station and a 7 minute walk to Central 21 Shopping Mall.
- Spacious Rooms – starting from a Standard rooms at 30m2/323ft2 up to a Junior Suite & Executive Suite at 60m/646ft2
- Roof top area with swimming pool, gymnasium and sauna.
- 24r front desk
- Hotel decor is in need of a major refresh, lets face it the hotel is old, even though the rooms are a good size and the furnishings are OK, it could really do with a substantial make over, hence the price being cheaper.
- Walking does require crossing some busy soi’s, and can be a little frustrating.
- Shower is standing in a bath, which is not ideal.
Agoda rating (7.1/10 very good)
Best Comfort facilities and services
24hr front desk, restaurant, business centre, roof top swimming pool, gymnasium and sauna, car park(free) and shuttle service.
Concierge, daily house keeping, dry cleaning, laundry service, luggage storage, safety deposit box, smoke free property with smoking area and wake up service.
Air conditioning, wireless internet, bathtub, desk and sitting area, dvd player, free bottled water, hair dryer, in room safe, mini bar, fridge, tv with satellite/cable channels and telephone.
Mid Tier Pick
Hope Land Hotel Sukhumvit 8 (4 Stars)
Great mid tier option in the Nana area of Sukhumvit, good size rooms with all the facilities and services you could need. Convenient location with Nana BTS station at the end of the soi, good launchpad to get to all the sights in Bangkok. (Agoda link here)
- Great location – Nana BTS station 280m, Asoke BTS station 520m, Terminal 21 shopping mall 510m, Central World 2km, 7 Eleven 50m, ATM 50m, Don Mueang Airport 20.9km, Suvarnabhumi Airport 21.7km.
- Good roof top area that includes a swimming pool, spa, sauna and mini golf.
- Spacious rooms superior double 42m2/454ft2 up to Premuim Room 65m2/700ft2.
- Modern decor with comfortable beds – seems basic, but I have stayed in plenty of hotels in Thailand where the beds were hard and uncomfortable.
- Offers transfers to Nana BTS Station.
- Close to Nana Plaza red light or maybe a con depending on your point of view :p
- Limited breakfast choices
- Wireless internet not so great.
- No cooking utensils in the Executive room, strange is not included with the kitchen.
Agoda rating (8.2/10 excellent)
Hope Land Hotel Sukhumvit 8 facilities and services
Restaurant, swimming pool, garden, mini golf, fitness centre, hot tub, sauna, elevator, smoking area, wheel chair accessible, car park(free) and shuttle service.
24hr front desk, 24hr check inn, concierge, daily house keeping, doorman, room service, deposit boxes, 24hr security, luggage storage, laundry service, wake up service and shuttle service, including transfer to Nana BTS Station.
Air con, balcony/terrace, wifi, tv with cable/satellite channels, refrigerator, hair dryer, in room safe and free bottled water, sofa.
Two Vikings Favourite Pick
A personal favourite of ours, tied to some good memories. This very comfortable upmarket hotel has generously spacious rooms including a kitchenette, which is a nice bonus. Well located with a short walk to Asoke BTS station and Terminal 21. (Agoda link here)
- Good location – Sukhumvit MRT station 540m, Asoke BTS station 580m, Terminal 21 shopping mall 610m, Central World 3.07km, 7 Eleven 340m, ATM 160m, on Mueang Airport 21km, Suvarnabhumi Airport.
- Spacious comfortable rooms with modern decor, Superior Studio 39m2/420ft2 to Deluxe Studio 46m2/495ft2.
- Room includes a kitchenette.
- Great facilities, good size ground floor swimming pool with a kids swimming section, table tennis table, tennis courts, fitness centre and spa
- Restaurant, cafe and bar you can order a drink and have it by the pool.
- Comfortable bed with awesome blackout curtains, party all night and sleep all day if you want to.
- Due to the hotels popularity has undergone some steep price rises, so not a cheap hotel. This has been a real source of irritation for us.
- A little far from the nearest 7 Eleven convenience store.
Agoda Rating (8.2/10 Excellent)
Legacy Suites Sukhumvit Services and Facilities
Ground floor swimming pool with kids swimming section, fitness centre, spa, squash court, tennis court, table tennis table, restaurant, cafe and bar, salon, elevator and wheel chair access.
24hr front desk, 24hr check in, 24hr security, concierge, 24hr room service, daily house keeping, dry cleaning service, laundry service, doorman, luggage storage, safety deposit boxes, babysitting service, currency exchange, cash withdrawal and wake up service
Air conditioning, wifi, tv with satellite/cable channels, living room area with sofa, refrigerator, bath tub, in room safe, mini bar, kitchenette, phone and blackout curtains.
As we progress through the Sukhumvit different parts, it is our aim to arm you with the right information to help you plan your successful and enjoyable stay in Bangkok. With the sheer number of hotels on the Sukhumvit strip, we hope this snapshot gives you the right strategies to implement when picking your hotel in Bangkok.
All the best
The Two Vikings.
Best of Sukumvit, Bangkok Series Part 1 – Accommodation
In this multi part series we will be going into detail all things Sukhumvit Bangkok,Read More
Pattaya: The Comprehensive Guide – voted on Koh Samui Sunset
Recognition for all the hard work on the first of our travel guides is finallyRead More